Permafrost and Frozen Ground Engineering Services
Alpha Adroit is a permafrost specialist consulting company providing advanced geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, materials testing, and construction quality control services in permafrost and cold regions including sub-arctic Canada, arctic regions, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Baffin Island, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
Alpha Adroit's permafrost and frozen ground engineering services include:
- Geotechnical and geoenvironmental site investigation in permafrost and cold regions
- Specialized field and laboratory sampling and testing techniques for frozen soils, rocks, and ground ice
- Air photo interpretation and terrain analysis
- Aggregate and sand resource identification and characterizations
- Muskeg engineering
- Ice engineering
- Slope stability analysis, design, and repair in frozen and partially frozen soils and rocks
- Analysis, design, and monitoring of earth retaining systems in frozen ground
- Permafrost engineering for artificial ground freezing
- Design of insulation and other artificial passive thermal control regimes
- Advanced numerical modeling involving thermal, phase change (freezing - thawing), stress-strain, creep and seepage scenarios in frozen ground
- Analysis and design for implications of continuous and discontinuous permafrost on roads, pipelines, buried electrical and fiber optic lines, and other infrastructures
- Instrumentation, data logging, and interpretation of monitoring data for frozen and partially frozen ground applications
- Specialized design for seepage control and temporary shoring using frozen ground cut-off and retention walls
- Analysis and modeling of creep deformation, frost heave, thaw consolidation, and thaw weakening in seasonally freezing and thawing ground
- Analysis and control of landslides, open-pit wall stability, rock slope stability, and groundwater seepage control in partially frozen ground
- Risk assessment of construction impacts on geothermal regime of permafrost and providing design recommendations
- Design and construction monitoring for foundations, slopes, embankments, excavations, roads, ice roads, water dams, tailings dams, pipelines, and underground facilities on and within frozen and partially frozen soils
- Geotechnical analysis and design for offshore artificial islands, pipeline, and other infrastructures underlain by permafrost below sea floor
- Geotechnical engineering for saline and contaminated frozen ground
- Hydrogeology, water resources evaluation, groundwater monitoring, and contamination transport in permafrost regions and in partially frozen soils
- Permafrost engineering for underground dams
- Soil compaction testing and concrete testing
- Pile Inspection Services
- Geo-environmental assessment for construction projects in cold regions
- Analysis, assessments, and design for mine closure in permafrost
- Design of shallow and deep open excavations, open pits, waste dumps, and high embankments in permafrost
- Specialized numerical modeling for environmental hazard assessment, contamination transport, contamination retention, and contamination cleanup in permafrost
- Senior and peer review of reports, construction quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC), and project management
- Forensic (failure investigation), preventive, and remedial permafrost engineering
- Environmental engineering and restoration servicesfor cold regions and permafrost
- Specialized environmental engineering and consultation for Petroleum Hydrocarbon Contamination in permafrost
FRP: Filterless Rigid Piezometer — Measuring Pore-Water Pressure in Partially Frozen Soils
Piezometer for measuring pore-water pressure in partially frozen soils and tight formations ( United Stated Patent US 9,140,615 B2: Method and system for measuring pore-fluid pressure ) was invented by Dr. Mohammadali Kia, P.Eng. (President, Alpha Adroit Engineering Ltd) together with co-inventors Dr. Norbert Rubin Morgenstern, P.Eng. and Dr. David Charles Sego, P.Eng. (Professor Emeritus, University of Alberta).
Alpha Adroit experts also develop new instruments for special applications. Alpha Adroit experts have extensive experience in using instrumentation for dams, tailing dams, tunnels, tailings, open-pit mining, underground mining, bridges, slopes, forensic investigations, and other geotechnical applications. Two of Alpha Adroit's most senior Principal Geotechnical Engineers (Dr. M. Rahman, P.Eng. and Dr. J. Sadrkarimi, Professor Emeritus) have been in practice since 1972 and have been involved with numerous geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring projects ever since.
— Call us Toll Free: 1-844-4-ADROIT (1-844-4-237648) or please contact us here for more information.
We provide our permafrost engineering and frozen ground engineering services throughout Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Yukon, Nunavut, and Northwest Territories. We also provide services in international locations directed through our main office in Edmonton, Alberta.